frag swap donations

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

frag swap donations

Postby bobbet43 on Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:44 pm

want to start this so we have an idea of what kind of donations are being worked on. i have been in contact with reefermadness, bluezoo aquatics, fragfarmer and atlantis aquariums. so far nothing definite yet, but hopefully 1 or 2 will come through for us. anyone else? please post so we don't have several people overwhelming the same places.
bobbet43

Re: frag swap donations

Postby meisen on Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:35 am

I will talk to Algae Free Mark about a donation and having him come with magnets, scrapers and maxi mods to sell.
meisen

Postby Mike Brolin on Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:39 am

I got 2 $25 gift certs fron Foster and Smith
And commitment from Central-Aquatics( Kent and Oceanic) for some donations.
Luke
Mike Brolin

Postby bobbet43 on Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:47 pm

has anyone talked to paul at living art?
bobbet43

Postby MM on Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:34 pm

How about the local big box stores that dont compete with us on live stock sales like Petsmart? Maybe we could get a donation and a flier posted. What is being done to promote the swap locally and in surrounding markets?? Judging by the great turnout for the last one it must be well promoted but of course the more the better. - mark
MM

Postby meisen on Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:39 am

I think this is covered in more detail at the planning meetings and in the other swap threads but I will summarize whats been planned:

Flyers to all the area pet/aquarium stores that will post them (pending flyer completion)
Flyers at a few really busy public places (libraries, grocery stores) ""
Posts on Reefcentral, Uberfrags, saltwaterfish (done)
I am going to ask Gawain to post at reefmonkeys,.,I think hes a mod over there
Any other boards that should get some posting?
Our website of course and word of mouth to anyone in the region in the hobby I can think of. (doing)
I dont know if anyone has posted on WRS and Michigan Reefers....anyone want to?
I will send Rob at Rockford Reefers an email about it so he can send it to their membership.

But its a democratic effort so if you are seeing somewhere we could promote that we arent, by all means go for it! Just keep the threads updated with your efforts. Last year we had folks in outlying areas see if their LFS would put up a poster which is good too (anyone up for it this year BTW?). Some did but as you noted, there is a perception of competition there. Thats not entirely unfounded, especially here in Madison. We do help to significantly grow the hobby regionally IMO and a larger hobby base means more sales for LFS but there has to be more outreach and effort on their parts. There are certainly places where there is good synergy. I did some research into opening a store elsewhere and some places have a huge, active (and swapping) club and several booming reef-specialty stores.
meisen

Postby tim on Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:31 pm

I will talk to the guy at uberfrags when get a finsihed flyer. Tim
tim

Postby BraenDead on Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:25 pm

I sent emails to the following regarding donations (went through a list of companies I have ordered from this year):

Big Als Online
Premium Aquatics
Aqua Mags
Marine Depot
The Filter Guys
Premium Aquatics
Empre Aquatics

If anyone else has contacted anyone and not posted on here yet, please add the company to the list so we do not get duplicates! Is anyone planning on contacting the Chicago stores (Oceans Floor, Rods Reef, Sea Schor, Sharky's, etc)?

Thanks,

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby meisen on Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:08 pm

I invited Dennis@ Sharkys, Dave @ Oceans Floor and Mike @ Dark Lord Corals to attend.

I know Rod but dont have his contact info (hes on RC though, could pm him through there). We should contact Sea Schor as well as Exotic Aquatics just so we get full coverage and dont leave someone out. Anyone know anyone at those shops? Are there other shops people frequent that we should include?

Has anyone talked to Paul, John or Jake about coming to represent their respective stores? I would really like to see them come and promote their shops to all the frothing mad reefers in town for the day. I cant do their marketing for them but having a 25% off coupon at a table with some chi-chi livestock and directions to their store would sell me.
meisen

Postby BraenDead on Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:39 pm

meisen wrote:I know Rod but dont have his contact info (hes on RC though, could pm him through there). We should contact Sea Schor as well as Exotic Aquatics just so we get full coverage and dont leave someone out. Anyone know anyone at those shops? Are there other shops people frequent that we should include?

Rod's contact info is on his website: http://www.rods-reef.com/

I've met him, but don't know if he would remember me. Mark, you want to talk to him?

Ufortunately, I don't know anyone at Sea Schor or Exotic Aquatics. I do plan on talking to Jake, Jon, and Paul regarding the swap - will try to talk to them this week.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Sula on Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:50 pm

From a conversation I had with Jake, I got the impression he was planning to come as a hobbiest.
When on a journey, it is good to have an end, but in the end it's the journey that counts.
Sula

Animart Giftcards

Postby Jake on Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:00 pm

Hey everyone I plan on coming with some frags of galaxea and frogspawn. I'm also going to try and wrestle up some Animart giftcards =)
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
Jake

Postby Sula on Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:10 pm

Way cool! Thanks Jake!
When on a journey, it is good to have an end, but in the end it's the journey that counts.
Sula

Postby BraenDead on Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:40 am

So far I have:

- 3 Pack of Frag-Mags from Aqua-Mags
- $25 Gift Cert from Premium Aquatics
- No from Marine Depot
- No word from the rest

I'd like to get a list of every company who donates to the raffle and I will make a poster board list of everyone, just so credit can be given where it is due.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby cap360 on Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:46 pm

Now that I have my website up http://www.midwestsaltwater.com I am offically open for buisness I will be at the frag swap. I will be donating Frag Stations and Reef disk.
Thanks
Bill
cap360

Next

Return to MARS General