Coral Growth - LED vs. MH v. T5 Looking back...

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Coral Growth - LED vs. MH v. T5 Looking back...

Postby Landon on Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:56 am

I have a question for some of the old salts....

If you switched to LEDs as a main light source, have your corals shown as steady of growth as when you ran MH/T5?

One of the main "problems" I used to have running my setups under MH/T5 was coral encroachment. Zoas, LPS, easy SPS used to grow fast enough that every few months I was able to make an abundance of frags just to avoid things growing on top of one another. Also, I used to have to chase coraline algae continually. It seems to be almost non existent at this point.

I love the look of the various corals under the LED's, and I love the electricity consumption benefits. Would just like to see more growth. Would love to see some zoas spreading over the rock. Just doesn't feel like things are as happy as back in the old days.

I've been running:
65 Cube
2 AI Prime running at 100% 20k for 8 Hours. Nice little ramp up setup as well.
Trigger Systems Cube Sump
Reef Octopus Skimmer
MP10
Manually does alk, ca, mag. Test regularly.
20% water change every 2 weeks.
Using a RKL for make it all go.

Image20171214_105902 by Landon Belzer, on Flickr
The Arctic Night-lights. "As if the natural world's been turned upside down." - Lord Mandrake
Landon

Re: Coral Growth - LED vs. MH v. T5 Looking back...

Postby O&J'sdad on Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:51 am

I think adding a couple t5 blue plus would give you what you are looking for. I have never had led except for a reefbrite strip. Starboards tank looks amazing under radiums.
O&J'sdad

Postby MM on Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:04 pm

I am just starting to experiment with LED only. So far reasonable success but I have similar observations. Not as much growth, not as much coralline algae. Its early in the experiment so no firm conclusions yet. The only thing I have long term under LEDs is an RBTA tank. We all know how easy they are to keep so not sure this matters a lot but they are huge and dividing quickly. I have a birds nest that has turned bright purple that is not growing real fast but some of the birds nests varieties are super slow growing. Other sps are not coloring up yet. I am not using the expensive trendy products either. I am using inexpensive lights I buy direct from China. I will give you an update after the tank has been up longer.

- MM
MM

Postby Landon on Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:20 pm

I decided to add some T5's. I picked up the Aquaticlife T5HO Hybrid.

http://www.aquacave.com/aquaticlife-24- ... ystem.html

I hooked it up last week. Assembly and installation was a snap. I had to pick up a little hardware to mount the primes to the supplied tracks, but outside of the that, no issues.

I added 2 Blue Plus and 2 Coral Plus. It will be interesting to see how things play out.

Image20180119_090540 by Landon Belzer, on Flickr

Image20180119_090522 by Landon Belzer, on Flickr
The Arctic Night-lights. "As if the natural world's been turned upside down." - Lord Mandrake
Landon

Postby power on Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:28 pm

I was haveing no luck with my kessil leds got rid of them and now using t5’s seen better growth. I noticed if you watch the duration of the lights and how many bulbs you run the power usage is not much more then led.one thing with t5 you can change the bulbs when they degrade. Leds DO degrade there’s really no way to measure it with home equipment. No matter what the manufacturer says or what you hear leds do degrade or the drivers burn out . I believe in 5 years led vs t5 are not much difference in cost , initial cost,running bulb changes
power

Postby MM on Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:41 pm

Update for my LED only tank. It took quite a while for the SPS to color up but they are almost all in full color now. One sps is still holding out. Not a lot of noticeable growth yet but I think I need to make some measurements and track this. The LPS are growing new heads so they are doing fine - Acorn Lords, Duncans, Dendrophyllia. The tank is not mature yet so I have not made any judgements. RBTAs rocking and I plan on adding a more challenging soon to give it a better test. Its still growing some of the algae types you get with a new tank and no coralline yet other than rocks that were put in there with it already on them. Long story short its improving with time. At some point I plan on adding a couple of VHO T12s but I am going to let this go at least a year to see how it does. Eventually I will have photos. I really like how the metal stand and light mount and shelf worked out.

- mark
MM

Return to MARS General